- This event has passed.
The Future of Mobility in Santa Monica | A TechFire Panel Discussion
November 10 @ 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
The Future of Mobility in Santa Monica:
Equitable, Sustainable Transportation Options that Tackle the Climate Crisis
Join us for a discussion on the future of mobility in Santa Monica, and on the vitally important role that sustainable and equitable transportation options play for tackling the climate crisis, addressing equity issues, and improving mobility and quality of life for all.
Santa Monica already leads the region in so many ways on mobility issues — but as Santa Monica’s Climate Action & Adaptation Plan notes there is still much more progress to be made. Join us for what promises to be an enlightening, wide-ranging, and fun discussion as we think big and look to the future of what’s possible.
- Rick Cole, City Manager, City of Santa Monica
- Cynthia Rose, Director, Santa Monica Spoke
- Douglas Curl, Regional General Manager – West, Spin (Ford Smart Mobility)
- and more TBA
Just a few of the themes to be addressed:
- expanding protected bike lanes: Santa Monica already has some protected bike lanes in limited locations, but their spread pales in comparison to green bike lanes, which are great but offer far less protection
- positioning Santa Monica to take advantage of a Green New Deal: strategies for getting the extension of the Metro Purple Line (“D Line”) to Downtown Santa Monica in the pipeline to take advantage of a possible federal Green New Deal down the line in the future
- what’s next for scooters and micromobility more broadly in Santa Monica: lessons from the Shared Mobility Pilot Program as the City prepares for the next permit program in 2020
- autonomous vehicles: how will the change Santa Monica, and how do they help or hurt environmental and equity issues?
- the Big Blue Bus battery-electric bus pilot
- lessons from other cities around the world
- mobility as a human right: ways to further address equity issues relating to mobility (from micromobility to transit to EV carsharing, and beyond)
- an update on next steps on implementing the transportation components of Santa Monica’s Climate Action & Adaptation Plan, and the latest on the work of the Task Force on the Environment and Subcommittee on the Electric Vehicles (including the Electric Vehicle Action Plan)
- and more!
2:30 pm: doors open, 3–4:30 pm: panel discussion
Venue: Santa Monica Public Library (Main Library) Multipurpose Room (2nd Floor)
This program is not sponsored by the Santa Monica Public Library; it is organized by TechFire, which was founded in Santa Monica in 2013 and has organized 50 events with speakers ranging from a former Santa Monica Mayor, to a former US Secretary of Transportation. View photos from past events and a history of TechFire (PDF).