Three yeas ago Santa Monica led by launching Los Angeles County’s 1st public bike share — Breeze, presented by Hulu!
Congratulations Santa Monica and Breeze,
& Happy Birthday #3!
With shared mobility rapidly expanding with new technologies — we congratulate Santa Monica and Breeze bike share for leading the charge by improving the built environment with safer more visible traffic lanes paving the path for expanding new mobility options. Shared mobility that is more environmentally sustainable, help reduce our carbon foot print, traffic congestion and single car trips —and support our growing network of public transportation and shared mobility options. #GoSaMo
Earlier 2018 Santa Monica, along with 3 other systems led again — rolling out LA’s 1st regionally integrated bike share — with Bike Share Connect! Bike Share Connect combined 4 independent systems into one regionally connected and seamlessly integrated network which spans across over 34 square miles, from Venice Beach to Hollywood and Highland.
With the ground work laid and the spark of new mobility lit – this past year we have seen even more mobility options launch — motorized scooters and e-assist bikes — with surely more to come. Find out more about Santa Monicas’ Mobility Pilot Program here.
The milestones are just beginning! Here are a few —
- 11/11/14 Santa Monica City Council approves L.A. County’s first public bike share system
- 10/13/15 City Council approves Hulu as Breeze Bike Share’s official sponsor
- 11/12/15 Breeze Bike Share launches with 500 bikes, 80 stations around town, and 5,275 combined users and members!
- 08/15/16 Venice opens its first Breeze Bike Share hub at 5th & Rose
- 11/08/17 Breeze blows by 1 million miles ridden and 1 million lbs. of Co2 averted
- 04/23/18 Breeze Bike Share joins neighboring Bruin Bike Share, Beverly Hills Bike Share, and WeHo Pedals to form LA County 1st regionally integrated system Bike Share Connect
- 09/17/18 Share Mobility Pilot Launch The pilot program is designed to collaboratively and flexibly develop an effective regulatory model of these new shared transportation options to ensure compliance with applicable laws while promoting health and safety.
The Share Mobility Pilot is part of the Santa Monica City Council and our community’s shared strategic goal and commitment to promote a safer, more sustainable multi-modal city of the future. This also pairs with the Council’s adoption to implement innovative Vision Zero approaches to ensure public safety and work to eliminate roadway collisions.