The Jazz on the Lawn Summer Concert Series returns for its 13th year! Each Sunday in August.
“Everyone is invited to grab friends, family and dancing shoes for free concerts in the park. A sampling of jazz and world music genres, free dance lessons and intermission performances (on select dates), and some of the area’s finest food trucks will be presented in Gandara Park (formerly Stewart Street Park). Patrons are invited to come early to enjoy new family-fun activities for children and adults, providing entertainment like corn hole, giant blocks and more beginning one hour prior to each concert,” — Santa Monica City.
Jazz on the Lawn Emcees: alternate concerts, check dates linked below
• Actor, spoken word artist, humanitarian, and TED speaker Sean Hill
• Joe Hernandez Kolski, co-founder of Downbeat 720*, an open-mic event for high school performers.
Sunday, August 5th: Nick Mancini Collective
Sunday, August 12th: Scambooty, Free swing dance lesson at 4:30pm
Sunday, August 19th: Twanguero, Intermission concert will feature The Samohi Jazz Combo
Sunday, August 26th: Orquesta Tabaco y Ron, Free salsa dance lesson at 4:30pm.
FOOD TRUCKS: Vary by date – check the calendar event
• The Berlin Truck– grilled cheese sandwiches and German style sausages
• The Gastrobus– farmers’ market bistro with locally-sourced dishes
• King Kone – ice cream and sweet treats
• Paradise Cookies & Ice Cream – fresh baked cookies and homemade ice cream
• Tacos Super Gallito – burritos, tortas, quesadillas and tacos
• Yalla Truck – falafel and chicken kabob sandwiches
PRE-CONCERT GAMES: Begin one hour prior to the concert at 4 p.m. and continue until 7 p.m.
Gandara Park includes a children’s playground, restrooms and parking. Free bike valet will be offered starting at 4 p.m. in the Gandara Park lot.
Walk, bike, scoot, public transit or multi-modal your way. Expo Line 26th Street/Bergamot Station is an short eight-minute walk and Big Blue Bus Route 5 stops in both directions on Olympic Blvd. at Stewart St.
For more information on the series, visit smgov.net/jazz. See and share posts about the concerts by using #ArtSaMo.
* Downbeat 720 has been running for over sixteen years and is sponsored by the City of Santa Monica.