Today, March 7th, is election day across L.A. County! Remember to bike the vote. #BikeTheVote
Vote today! Find your polling location & look up a sample ballot, and make sure you bike the vote. Polls are open until 8 p.m.
Know your voting rights (from the LA Fed)! Your employer is required by law to give you time off to vote. You can vote if your name isn’t on the list using a provisional ballot. You can vote after polls close, as long as you’re in line. You can change your vote if you make a mistake — just ask for a new ballot. You can take your vote-by-mail ballot to any polling location (and you can trade it for a new one if you make a mistake on it).
Vote No on S, Yes on H
NO on Measure S (Building Moratorium, L.A. City): Read more about LACBC’s statement here.
YES on Measure H (Homeless Services, L.A. County)
CicLAvia – Culver City Meets Venice presented by Metro
CicLAvia heads back to one of their fan-favorite routes for the first event of 2017!
On March 26, Culver City, Mar Vista, and Venice will host another of the country’s largest open streets events! Streets will be closed to cars and open for use as a recreational space for people walking, biking, running, skating and any other people powered mode.
A CicLAvia press event will take place at 8:30am at the intersection of Main St. and Culver Blvd. in Downtown Culver City.
New to CicLAvia? Here are some things you need to know for March 26:
- CicLAvia is FREE!
- CicLAvia lasts from 9 AM until 4 PM
- CicLAvia closes streets to car traffic and opens them for people to walk, skate, bike, play, and explore parts of Los Angeles.
- CicLAvia is not a race! There’s no starting point or finish line – begin where you like and enjoy the day your way.
- CicLAvia traffic flows in two directions, just like regular traffic. Check out some more safety tips.
Feeder Ride from Santa Monica information HERE
You can also get to CicLAvia without a car by bus or on Expo!
Click to Download Map
Sustainable Works, along with the City of Santa Monica’s Office of Sustainability and the Environment is very excited to announce the 9th Annual Sustainable Santa Monica Student Poster Contest!
The Poster Contest is open to all K-12 students who attend school and/or live in Santa Monica. Each year, students use art to investigate a theme of sustainability relevant to Santa Monica. This year’s theme is Saving Energy Today for a Brighter Tomorrow. Sustainable Works will be scheduling 20 minute presentations to share the principles of sustainability in Santa Monica as it relates to this year’s theme.
Attached is a flyer with the contest rules, selection process and information on submitting posters. To help us continue to grow this wonderful event, we welcome your help in spreading the word to your contacts and encouraging participation! When the community promotes the contest, students participate. Last year over 450 students participated in the contestand this year we’re looking forward to even more.
Prizes for winning posters include $10 – $100 gift cards. The winning posters will be displayed in the of City of Santa Monica, helping to further showcase our budding young artists while raising awareness of the benefits of energy conservation.
- March 31st: Deadline for Poster Submissions
- Early April: Winning Posters selected
- May: Contest awards ceremony and celebration to honor student winners and all participants. Gift bags and raffles for all!
If you have any questions, please contact Gina Garcia at email@example.com.
We had a GREAT DAY of Celebrating and Bike Riding Saturday!
Click the image to go to flickr Photo Gallery or side arrows to advance embedded gallery here!
• The official Parks Day, Come Play! started at 10am with Grand Opening Ceremonies at the new Ishihara Park
• The ride activities followed after the Dedication Celebrations at Gandara Park around 11:30am with the February Ride with the Mayor and our Picnic Ride –
Expo Line Maintenance This Weekend
Beginning Friday (2/24) at 9:00 PM, through close of service on Sunday (2/26), there will be no train service to the following Metro Expo Line stations, due to scheduled maintenance:
- Downtown Santa Monica
- 17th St/SMC
- 26th St/Bergamont
During this time crews will be conducting repairs and upgrades on this stretch of the Expo Line.
While this weekend’s work is in effect, local and express Metro Bus shuttles will replace train service between Downtown Santa Monica and Expo/Sepulveda Station.
- All westbound trains will stop at Expo/Sepulveda and turn back towards downtown Los Angeles. Metro shuttles will be available at Expo/Sepulveda for continued westbound service.
- All customers heading eastbound may board shuttles at Downtown Santa Monica station for service to Expo/Sepulveda Station. From there they can continue on the Expo Line towards Downtown Los Angeles.
- Shuttle service is free if transferring from the Expo Line.
Additionally, Big Blue Bus Route 7 and Rapid 7 service both Downtown Santa Monica and Expo/Sepulveda Stations
CONNECTING TO NATURE IS KEY!
Wednesday, February 22 @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Movie Screening at the Aero Bike Valet courtesy of Santa Monica Dept. of Planning & Community Development.
An award winning film narrated by Liam Neeson, Love Thy Nature shows how deeply we’ve lost touch with nature and takes viewers on a cinematic journey through the beauty…..
A Panel discussion will follow the screening
More info HERE
Click image above to view the photo album on Flickr!
View embedded gallery by clicking right side of image to advance.