In celebration of METRO’s new Expo 2 line to Santa Monica + Bike Month You are cordially invited to the premiere of the feature documentary:
CARLESS in LA: one woman’s car-free trek thru Los Angeles
Wednesday, May 25th see full event info here here
Panelist and Q&A Discussion to follow featuring Diego Cardoso of METRO; Jonathan Parfrey of CicLAvia; Aaron Paley formerly of CicLAvia; Cynthia Rose Director Santa Monica Spoke and filmmaker Katie Rogers
PLEASE NOTE: This is a private screening with limited seating. RSVP to KatieRogers777@gmail.com with your name and email to ensure your seat.
We are organizing a group ride that will meet at the 4th Street Expo Terminus Station (near corner of 5th and Colorado near the bike racks) and ride to the Laemmle for the show!
– Meet at 6:00pm ROLL AT 6:15pm
– Free Bike Valet: Opens at 6:15pm
– Panel discussion and a reception follow the movie
– all latest info will be updated on EVENT PAGE HERE
MAY: NATIONAL BIKE MONTH IS HERE!!!
May is National Bike Month, sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists and celebrated in communities from coast to coast. Established in 1956, National Bike Month is a chance to showcase the many benefits of bicycling — and encourage more folks to giving biking a try.
Whether you bike to work or school; ride to save money or time; pump those pedals to preserve your health or the environment; or simply to explore your community, National Bike Month is an opportunity to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride.
Each year the number and diversity of Bike Month celebrations continues to grow, accelerating the momentum around bicycling nationwide.
The National Bike Challenge is a nationwide event uniting thousands of current bicyclists — and encouraging countless new riders. In its simplest form it is a logging center for users to record miles ridden and be part of the national community of bicyclists. It is a free and easy way to challenge yourself, colleagues and the greater community to ride more. Users compete on a local, state and national level. The year the Challenge aims to unite 75,000 riders to pedal 35 million miles from May 1, 2015 until September 30, 2015. Now in its fourth year, the Challenge is a successful partnership between the PeopleForBikes and Kimberly-Clark’s Scott Natural Brand.
PeopleForBikes owns, operates, and maintains the National Bike Challenge website. PeopleForBikes mission is to making bicycling better for everyone by uniting millions of riders, thousands of businesses and hundreds of communities..
Join the Challenge and ride for team Bike Santa Monica!
After you sign up for the National Bike Challenge. and create your account – join team Bike Santa Monica!
The National Bike Challenge officially starts May 1st. We are already warming up in April – don’t wait join now! This year there are 4 apps you can choose from to record your participation. Visit the app gallery here. IT”S EASY!
May 4th: National Walk Bike to School Day
& Bike it Walk it Week Santa Monica
The first-ever National Bike to School Day took place on May 9, 2012, in coordination with the League of American Bicyclists’ National Bike Month. Almost 1,000 local events in 49 states and the District of Columbia joined together to encourage children to safely bicycle or walk to school.
The event builds on the popularity of Walk to School Day, which is celebrated across the country – and the world – each October. Many communities and schools have been holding spring walk and bicycle to school events for years. National Bike to School Day provides an opportunity for schools across the country to join together to celebrate and to build off of the energy of National Bike Month.
Bike it Walk it Week Santa Monica, May 2nd -6th
Santa Monica and Malibu schools celebrate Bike it Walk it Bus it Week May 2nd-6thth. Join the fun by contacting SRTS Coordinator Cory Keen, your PTA President or the Bike it Walk it Bus it coordinator at your school to find out about how you can participate.
SMMUSD Bike it Walk it
- Lincoln Middle School: May 4th
- Franklin Elementary: May 5th
- Will Rogers Learning Community: April 29th
- Edison Language Academy: May 4th
- Grant Elementary: May 5h
- John Muir Elementary: May 5th
- SMASH: May 5th
- McKinley Elementary: May 4th – 6th
- Roosevelt Elementary: May 3rd
- John Adams Middle School: May 5th
- Samohi: May 18th
Bike Week LA is an annual week of community events sponsored by Metro and local advocates all over the County of Los Angeles to promote bicycling as a sustainable and practical mode of transportation. Check Metro website for events all over LA. In Santa Monica we have you covered, to get connected in your area look up LACBC, or your areas LACBC Local Chapter.
Santa Monica Spoke we will again participate and host rides and events through out the week! More info on these rides and events is coming soon Check out our Event Calendar for the latest. Here is an overview of Metro Events some of what we have planned locally to get you excited!
More are being added – check calendar for updates!
- Nation Bike Challenge Begins. Log miles over smiles from May 1st to September 30th. Join Team Bike Santa Monica in this National Competition. More info online.
- Sunday, May 1st – Gear Up! as we launch Bike Month! Get ready to ride, learn to pedal safely, and win free stuff! 11am-2pm McKinley School, 2401 Santa Monica Blvd
- May 2nd – 6th – Bike it! Walk it! Bus it! to School – SMMUSD. For more information contact Cory.Keen@smgov.net
- Sunday, May 1st – Adult Learn to Ride bike class. For more info and to sign up visit smbikecenter.com/services/bike-classes/
- Every Wednesday Camp Coffee, #CoffeeOutside at Ballona Creek 7:00-8:00am. Bring your camp brew kit or ready made, It’s a great way to start your day. On the jetty at the end of Ballona Creek Bike Path past the bike bridge.
- Wednesdays in May Bike Maintenance Workshop – 4 part series, Santa Monica Bike Center , more info visit smbikecenter.com/services/repair/
- Every Thursday in May Handlebar Happy Hour – Celebrate all things bike as we explore our Santa Monica Buy Local, Bike Local business. This month we visit the Most Loved SM Happy Hour Finalists. Areal, The Craftsman, Rusty’s and Upper West.
- Sunday, May 8th LA Bike Festival: Grand Park, Downton Los Angeles
- Thursday, May 12th, BREEZE BIKE SHARE Handlebar Happy Hour 6 Month Anniversary Celebration at The Craftsman Bar and Kitchen
- Friday, May 13th Big Blue Bus Buy One Get One stock up on your BBB fare!
- Saturday, May 14th Expo II Bike Path Ride info as confirmed at SMSpoke.org
- Sunday, May 15th CicLAvia Southeast Cities 9am-4pm ciclavia.org
Bike LOCAL WEEK Santa Monica
- Sunday, May 15 – Breeze Bike Share Community Ride & Bike Route Tour 10am – noon, meet at 17th Street Expo station.
- Meatless Monday, May 16 – Ride & Fundraiser to the Veggie Grill – We meet at Colorado Center Park at 5:30 to ride (or meet us) at Veggie Grill, 2025 Wilshire blvd
- Tuesday, May 17th Ladies Choice Women and Biking discussions over morning coffee at Sidecar Donuts — 7:30am to 9am, 631 Wilshire Blvd, SM
12th Annual Blessing of the Bicycles
- Wednesday, May 18th Special Edition Bike Week Camp Coffee #CoffeeOutside at Ballona Creek 7:00-8:00am. Bring your camp brew kit or ready made, It’s a great way to start your day. On the jetty at the end of Ballona Creek Bike Path past the bridge.
Guided SM City Bike Tour. We’ll check out the new Esplanade & cycle track, then ride some of the great bike facilities that earned Santa Monica its Silver Level Bike Friendly City Designation. We ride to a bonus Handlebar Happy Hour, location tbd
- Thursday, May 19th is Bike to Work Day! Sponsored by Metro Visit our website for a full list of Santa Monica pit stop locations. We will be at City Hall as well as several other locations.
Bike From Work Handlebar Happy Hour: TWO in Santa Monica! We will be at Areal 2820 Main Street Main St and Public Bikes 2714 Main St is hosting a Bike From Work Handlebar Happy Hour that benefits Santa Monica Spoke. WOOT!! So FUN and so close – you can do BOTH!
People on bikes Ride Metro and Big Blue Bus for Free today!
Visit metro.net/bikes/bike-month/ for Bike events all over LA County
Free ride time on Breeze Bike Share Thursday May 19 to Saturday May 21
- Friday, May 20th Opening Expo II light rail line and Expo II Bike Path. Festivities are scheduled for noon at 4th Street Terminus station – smgov.net/expo
Expo Trains are FREE Friday & Saturday, May 20th & 21st
Bike to the Movies / Date Night at the Laemmle Theater. Meet at the 4th Street Expo Station and ride to the movies at Laemmle Monica Theater. Time tbd
- Saturday May 21st Expo II Station Parties. Visit all three stations, each is themed differently – we plan to be at all three stations. This historic event is one not to be missed. 10am-4pm all stations.
- Sunday, May 22nd Santa Monica Spoke Family Bikes on Expo Tour. Let’s go multi-modal with the whole family. We start at 17th Expo Station take a short ride on the Expo II Bike Path and then jump on Expo to Exposition Park for a short ride around the Rose Garden, then back to Santa Monica. Fun for the whole family. Start time planned for 10am, final details posted to the website soon.
Bike + Train Tour SM Learn to connect bikes to transit with PUBLIC Bikes & Sustainable Streets, free Breeze ride and tap card! 10am- 4pm meet at 2714 Main St.
Intermediate Learn to Ride bike class. For more info and to sign up visit smbikecenter.com/services/bike-classes/
Close out Bike Month with Bike Night at Union Station!
- Friday, May 27th Bike Night is more than just bikes: music from Jungle Fire, raffles and games, awesome prizes from Public Bikes and Tern Bicycles, and the highlight of the evening, a bicycle fashion show!
More Bike Week, Bike Month & Bike Local SM Specials posted “linked here” soon!
Get ready to ride all summer at Gear Up!
Gear Up! launches a variety events to help you get ready to ride, learn to pedal safely, and win free stuff during Bike Month!. This collaborative community celebration is brought to you with local partners to help you get a bike, learn to fix a flat, win free stuff, eat good food and have fun.
Our main events are:
BIKE SWAP: Want to be matched you with a new ride? Kids out grown their current bikes? Your cruiser not cutting it?, Seat giving you cramps?
FREE BIKE REPAIR: Pro mechanics getting your bike in cruising condition.
- BIKE RAFFLE: Participate in activities for the chance to win a FREE bike!
- FREE CLINICS that teach basic safety, shopping by bicycle, and riding in a skirt.
Tips and tricks to make bikes a big part of their summer
- FREE HELMETS (while supply last), sponsored by City of Santa Monica.
- LOCAL FOOD for sale.
- BIKE ART: With interactive presentations from local artists.
- ARTS AND CRAFTS for kids and adults to make their bikes and helmets special and stylish.
- MUSIC to set the tone with a DJ booth.
- COMMUNITY COLLABORATION with tables, art, and programs from local organizations.
- BICYCLE AWARENESS for upcoming events, Metro Expo Line, and local resources.
- And more to come! Stay tuned and we’ll let you know what other fun things to expect.
See the Facebook event HERE
Special: Arrive by bike* and save up to 33% this Sunday!
*or bring a selfie of you on a bike
Adults $20 (instead of $30)
College $10 (instead of $15)
K-12 $5 (instead of $10)
Who can resist the Flamenco Guitar? Adam del Monte plays two concertos with flamenco evocations – Rodrigo’s ever-popular “Concierto de Aranjuez” and Del Monte’s own flamenco concerto “Paisajes” which also features the reknowned cajon player Diego Alvarez Muñoz. Bizet’s “Carmen Suite” sets the stage!
Adam Del Monte (guitar) and Diego Alvarez Muñoz (cajon)
Bizet: Carmen Suite
Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez
Del Monte: Paisajes, concerto for Flamenco guitar
Sunday, April 24, 2016 @ 2:30 pm (*Please note new time*)
Moss Theater (see Moss Theater location)
The Herb Alpert Educational Village, New Roads School
3131 Olympic Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90404
(Entrance to parking lot on Olympic, just west of Centinela)
*or bring a selfie of you on a bike
Adults $20 (instead of $30)
College $10 (instead of $15)
K-12 $5 (instead of $10)
EXTENDED: Breeze Founding Memberships Sunset
Monday, January 4th!
Don’t delay, “Gift a Gift” or get Your Own TODAY!
Though not surprised – we are SO EXCITED that Santa Monica’s own Breeze Bike Share now boasts almost 5000 total members and over 1000 Annual Founding Memberships! All in just over a month and a half since launch. Quick calculations put that at a higher per capita than Citi-Bike’s comparatively huge and successful system launch in New York City!! The days are short in the winter and sunsets come early – But luckily for us – Founding Memberships have been extended through the New Years Weekend and won’t sunset until Monday. Don’t miss out — Sign up TODAY!
Buy a Founding Membership or GIFT ONE HERE –
Anyone can become a Founding Member for only $99. Founding Members get a full year of bike share use including 60 minutes of daily riding time, a special gift, and a limited edition Founding Member card.
PLUS don’t forget: Vote for SteetsBlogLA 2015 Streestsie Awards Local Leaders!
Hulu, with CycleHop (Breeze operator) is nominated for 2015 Livable Streets-Friendly Business.
City of Santa Monica’s Strategic Planning and Transportation Manager, Francie Stefan is for Civil Servant of the Year and Assembly Member Richard Bloom Elected Official of the Year!
Voting ends Tuesday January 5th!. See all six 2015 categories HERE including in a familiar category Advocate of the Year – LACBC’s own Tamika Butler is nominated!
Drop by and enjoy great company, drinks, food and lively conversation as we celebrate some of our victories and close out 2015.
We bid a sad good bye to our friend Aimee from the BBB and look forward to planning some visits up north to visit her.
Where: Areal on Main Street
When: Wednesday, Dec 16th
Time: 5:30pm – 8:00pm
As always our Handlebar Happy Hours are a Family Friendly Event.
Come one and all!
Join us Saturday morning for coffee, bagels and lively discussion and FUN!!
Updates & Input: Bike share Launch and Equity Grant application, Bike Action Plan Implementation, SAMOHI SRTS / MANGo, EXPO, Colorado Esplanade, DTSM Projects,
• Michelle Glickert from the City of Santa Monica will give us Bike Action Plan updates and request your ideas on next steps.
• Meet our new City of Santa Monica Bike Share Coordinator and talk about the Bike Share equity grant we’re applying for.
• Ride Breeze Bikes that we will have there for you to test ride. You can still sign up at the Special Founding Member price!
• You can sign up or renew your SM Spoke / LACBC membership for special perks. Meet and join our lively group of volunteers.
• Be the first to hear about some exciting upcoming events!
Pretty exciting It’s our 4 Year Anniversary adopting the Bike Action Plan
Time: 10am – noon
Where: Spoke HQ, 1640 5th Street, just south of Expo Station
People who ride bikes are not only good for the environment they tend to shop locally and are good for the local economy! Studies have shown that people on bikes may spend less per trip, but return more often and ending up spending more money monthly than folks that drive to their destinations.
Breeze puts 2 wheeled, healthy, active, transportation within easy reach for our residents and visitors and helps immerse them in our local community and connect to our local businesses. Each trip by bike is one less trip by car which helps the community reduce traffic congestion and polluting emissions.
Breeze is not simply for tourist or visitors – it is for Santa Monica Residents. Bike share can create expanded public transposition options into the neighborhoods so residents can get to and from transit, employment and shopping destinations without the need to use their cars. Adding just one more option for daily trips. Station are not only strategically placed at shopping and transit, but in neighborhoods for residential access to the broader transportation network and directly to local destinations.
Become a founding member before the Launch November 12th and get attend the Launch Party that Thursday evening! Bikes & Bikes!
Here are a just a few stations and some of the local destination connections! Where will you #RideBreeze?
Join hundreds of supporters on Thursday, November 12th on Main Street in front of Santa Monica City Hall for a celebration and ribbon-cutting ceremony to launch Breeze Bike Share presented by Hulu—LA County’s first public bike share system, Grant funding from LA Metro.
Sign up in advance online or download the app for a FREE 1-Day Pass for Launch Day November 12th. After the ribbon-cutting we roll-out on Breeze Bikes to any Santa Monica location. All participants in the Bike Roll-Out will receive a commemorative Breeze launch T-shirt, sunglasses, and helmet.
For the Early Birds who are not camera shy! We are looking for 50 people to help us welcome the KTLA Morning Show and CBS This Morning at 6:00 am during their live shots. Everyone who checks in by 6:15 am will be entered in a raffle to win a one-year Breeze Founding Membership
Don’t miss this historic event!
When: Thursday, November 12th
6:00 am – onward: Coffee & refreshments and KTLA Morning Show and CBS This Morning
9:00 am: Ribbon Cutting and Roll-out #RideBreeze all day with FREE on a One Day Pass!
Where: In front of City Hall, 1685 Main Street
For additional questions please email: BreezeBikeShare@SMGOV.NET