CicLAvia makes its first journey to South LA for an all new route on December 7th from 9:00 a.m – 3:00 p.m.. Open streets and the opportunity to explore more of Los Angeles car free by foot, bike, skates or other non-motorized transport. The South LA route will connect beautiful Leimert Park with historic Central Avenue, traveling along Martin Luther King Boulevard. Participants will be able to enjoy the sights, music, food and culture that makes South LA such a vibrant part of Los Angeles.
Check out this cool video on the new route! CicLAvia SouthLA!
Click here to download map “CicLAvia catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation and good health through car-free streets. CicLAvia engages with people to positively transform our relationship with our communities and with each other.”
All Hubs will offer CicLAvia information, merchandise, free water, restrooms and first aid stations.
The route will feature a pedestrian zones in the Leimert Park and Jazz Park Hub. For info and options on WalkLAvia click here See full program HERE ALONG THE ROUTE:
- The Los Angeles Carnival (www.losangelescarnival.com) will lead a festive parade down part of the route featuring costumed dancers. They will start assembling costumes at King Boulevard and Vermont Avenue at 8am and leave the assembly point at 11am. Estimated arrival in Leimert Park is between 1:30pm and 2pm. People interested in participating can visit the website for information about renting a costume.
LEIMERT PARK HUB
- Maverick’s Flat programs an outdoor stage with DJs and bands playing neo-soul, Caribbean, house and hip hop:
- More live music at local Leimert Park venues:
- Check out community groups in Leimert Plaza Park and arts and crafts vendors on Degnan Blvd.
- Food Trucks: Grilled Cheese Truck / King Kone / Luckdish Curry / No Jodas Cuban Kitchen / Surfer Taco
EXPOSITION PARK HUB
- Expo Center will host their annual Winter Festival in collaboration with the California African American Museum (CAAM) which will hold its annual Kwanzaa celebration (http://www.caamuseum.org/web_pages/target_sundays.htm). The hub will feature musical programming, pictures with Santa Claus, snow on the Soboroff Sports Field and food demos from the CSU Expo mini-farm
- Free bike valet
- Food trucks and food carts programmed by CAAM
JAZZ PARK HUB
- Pedestrian Zone and free bike valet
- Kick-off ceremony featuring Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Councilmember Curren Price, LADOT General Manager Seleta Reynolds, Jaime Ortiz (co-founder of the ciclovia open streets movement) and CicLAvia Executive Director Aaron Paley
- Los Angeles City Council District 9 Constituent Center and Community Health Councils will host a health expo with cooking demos, fitness classes, free health screenings, community organization booths and a bilingual bike rodeo
- Fresh produce from the Central Ave Farmers Market and Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Farmers Market booths
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and Councilmember Curren Price will host #TechLA where there will be free sessions on everything from web design and Photoshop to film editing and coding
- CRCD hosts tours of the Dunbar Hotel at 10am, 12pm, 1pm and 2pm
- Live music in the park programmed by the Coalition for Responsible Community Development and K-JAZZ
- Food Trucks: Farmer’s Belly / India Jones / Waffles de Liege / Yalla Truck
- NEAR THE HUB: Dismount and dance with DanceLAvia volunteers. Help them keep the tunes going by pedaling the Movable Parts stationary bike-powered DJ.
CENTRAL AVENUE HUB
- Kids Zone featuring a bike safety skills course and painting on the Mobile Mural Lab. If a child doesn’t have
a helmet, complete the skills course and get a free kid’s bike helmet (while supplies last). Also a chance to win a kid’s bike!
- Food Trucks: Don Cho Tacos / The Greasy Wiener / Mandoline Grill / Vchos Truck / Zugo Liquitarian
- NEAR THE HUB: Listen to live DJs and enjoy smoothies at A Place Called Home (2830 S Central Ave). Aztec dancers perform at 10am.
Info on light rail & bus routes to or from CicLAvia
Big Blue Bus Rapid 10 takes the frwy downtown LA to Santa Monica FAST! Light Rail: Connect to the Expo Line Culver City Station (timetable) then Big Blue Bus Rapid 20 to DT SM, Rapid 12 (to Westwood) or Route 12 (Westwood and Palms) Bike Venice Blvd Bike lane to Expo Bike Path west and then south to Leimert Park Hub.